LET’S TALK ABOUT RAMADAN
Back in 2011 when Lil Muallimah was a toddler, in an effort to get the kids excited about Ramadan I made a Ramadan Sensory Tub. What had been just a brain wave and ended up becoming a fun and enriching experience for all of us by the blessings of Allah.
I spread out an old bordered cloth in tupper ware. Then I made prayer mats & kufi with felt and hijab with left over cloth from an & torn, cloth baggy. Lil Muallim 2 & Lil Muallimah had become really excited seeing those… wondering what they were for. They even laid down the prayer mat and and held the kufi on their heads and made sujood saying: “Look I did it! I made the smallest sajdah ever!”
The idea of a “Ramadan Sesnsory Tub” is to get to talk about Ramadan, it’s importance, requirements and activities.
Ramadan Sensory Tub Contents:
- crescent moon and masjid with shiny card stock
- two prayer mats
- a hijab and kufi
- a date wrapped in cling wrap
- an empty wooden case of a very tiny mushaf for “Quran”
- coins to show we should give Zakat
- a small canvas frame with “Allah” on it to discuss dhikr, remebrance of Allah and being concsious of Allah at all times
When I introduced it to Lil Mualliamh. We got to discuss quite a few things Alhumdolillah! I got to see how her understanding of things could be enhanced by each time we went through the sensory tub Inshallah…..especially the importance and need of Dhikr and Zakah.
All my Lil Muallims really liked the Sensory tub and the older ones found it very cute.
Sensory Tub Vocabulary Words
- Ramadan (9th Islamic Month)
- tamr (date fruit)
- kufi (head cover for boys)
- hijab (head cover for girls)
- sajjadah (prayer mat)
- hilal (crescent)
- masjid (mosque)
- sadaqah (good deed)
- khairat (charity)
- and hopefully more as we go
This year I will be redoing this for Lil Muallim # 3, but in a different way… Stay tuned.